Friday, December 4, 2009

De Incarnatione Verbi Dei--St. Athanasius

Lately, I have been reading from St. Athanasius' work on the Incarnation of the Word. I try to do this every Advent. It is good preparation for Christmas and it tends to bear fruit in my sermon writing as we anticipate the coming of our Savior in the flesh. So, Athanasius writes for us about our Savior as He was in His body.

"Thus, even while present in a human body and Himself [Jesus] quickening it, He was, without inconsistancy, quickening the universe as well, and was in every process of nature, and was outside the whole, and while known from the body by His works, He was none the less manifest from the working of the universe as well."

In other words, Jesus was not limited while He was in the flesh. I always knew this, but the way the Saint puts it here, it shed new light on an old aspect of the incarnation. I am thankful that I regularly read this so that I can get all the meat and marrow from the bones of this
text.

No comments:

Post a Comment