Friday, October 2, 2009

Baked Oatmeal

This is a very yummy meal. It tastes so warm and home-y. My housemother found it here and I put it in the crockpot to cook last night. We all had a wonderful treat for breakfast this morning. It was so wonderful to come into the kitchen and smell. It was so nice for our oldest blessing to not be whining for food constantly while I try to prepare it.

Mix up (using a food processor if you prefer) a generous spoonful of ground flax seeds, a stream of honey, a spoonful of flax oil and about a half cup of milk. (I used to generous spoonfuls of flax seed as we do not yet have any flax oil in the house.)

Meanwhile, in your crockpot, put a bunch of uncooked rolled oats (the old fashioned kind, of which I put three cups for our crew). Add some ground dried beans, too, ground to powder (for this I used a coffee grinder, if you only have one clean it really well first! ;-)). Add the mixture from the crockpot and then a bunch of milk so it is really soupy. Let this sit on your slow cooker all night. In the morning, you will enter the kitchen to the smell of a nutritious, high protein, high fiber, oatmeal with lots of Omega 3 fatty acids to be put into a bowl and eaten!

This will give you a true breakfast of champions.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds good...I need all fo the calories I can get right now...BUT I'd have to add a lot of brown sugar and maple syrup...I'm a brat that way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dakotapam,
    It actually does not need as much brown suger and syrup as you might think. Because it is baked it gains a slightly sweet flavor. It would be worth trying once to find out. By the way, my wife would recommend having either the Rev. or one of the boys (whomever is better at it) clean the slow cooker.

    ReplyDelete