Monday, September 21, 2009

Prayers for Depression

I have noticed that there seem to be way too few prayers available for depression. Perhaps I have simply missed them, but the one resource I have is a prayer book from the early part of this century. This a tragedy considering the high rates of depression currently. I think that the church has fallen down on this mark so far. Hopefully, there is such a thing as a prayer book for the different kinds of depression in the works somewhere.

This is why as I prayed the Prayer of the Church at each of my congregations I was filled with joy that this prayer was included.
O Lord, God almighty, grant peace to those whose hearts and minds are filled with anxiety and turmoil. Give hope to those who battle with depression, and sustain those with mental illness. Help us all to know the full consolation of Your love, especially when we are overcome with anxiety and despair. Lord, in Your mercy, hear our prayer.

Perhaps it is only my perspective, but this seems to come along to infrequently.

No comments:

Post a Comment