Friday, July 2, 2010

Synod Convention

Today I received three mailers for the convention later this month.

One was from a group that might be termed "politically liberal" within our synod. Two were from different "politically conservative" groups within our synod. They all are trying to convince me to vote a certain way and for certain political candidates that they approve of and not for those other guys. Well, so far, the "liberal" group is the only one who has run what might be termed a paper version of an attack ad. The more "conservative" groups have not done this. The "conservative" groups that I have received information from have told me what they think about certain issues that will be dealt with at the convention but not actually attacked any candidate or group.

Today, the two "conservative" groups sent their usual. The first sent a bunch of articles to read, giving more to do to pastors and laity who are already too busy with their day jobs. The second only sent a paper one of the candidates wrote. It is a long paper, and one I have already read, but it is a great paper outlining what our focus as Christian churches, whatever our denomination, ought to be. That focus is on God's word, and for us Lutherans, the Book of Concord the Lutheran confessional documents. It is not much compared to all the other groups sending literature this time around. This group sent me something one other time. All that was sent that previous time was a book written by one of the candidates. No, letter is ever included in these mailings. There is no letter to tell me that I must read this or I won't really know what is going on at the convention. No letter telling me that if I read this then, and only then, will I know that their candidate is the best. They just mail the information and allow me to decide for myself.

I thought this approach was quite refreshing. I wish more groups did this sort of work. I say that both for the political groups operating in Washington, D. C. and for the groups who revolve around St. Louis, MO where our church body has it's headquarters.

No comments:

Post a Comment