Monday, January 18, 2010

December 24-Children's Christmas Program-St. Luke 2:1-20

Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O LORD, my rock and my redeemer.’ (Ps. 19:14) Amen.

Grace, mercy and peace will be with you, from God the Father and from Jesus Christ the Father’s Son, in truth and love.’ (2 John 3) Amen.

What are we doing here? Are we simply going through a rote reading of the Gospel from Luke? No. Christmas is programs and Christmas Eve services are not simply times to read aloud the Christmas Gospel from St. Luke. Instead, we are praising God.

We as we do this praising; we are standing with the Shepherds from tonight’s Gospel reading. We are standing before our incarnate God on His throne [motion to the altar]; we are praising God with the heavenly hosts. This is what we have been doing throughout this service. It is a service of lessons and carols and as happens in such a service, we as faithful Christians rejoice that our God has come to save us.

When I hear this passage from Luke read aloud I always think of Linus from a Charlie Brown Christmas. It is Linus’ voice, which runs through my mind as I listen, even if I am the one who is reading.

I love hearing this Gospel passage. This passage is the essence of God’s saving message for you. It is God stepping into this mess we call life and fixing it. He stepped in and gave us an answer to our sin. He gave us His forgiveness, which provides you and me with new life.

Rejoice with the Shepherds. ‘When all was still, and it was midnight, Your almighty Word, O Lord, descended from the royal throne’[1] Rejoice with the Psalmist: ‘Sing praise to the LORD, praise His name; proclaim His salvation from day to day.’ (Ps. 96:2)

In Jesus’+ Name. Amen.

[1] Christmas Eve Introit Antiphon, liturgical text. Lutheran Worship p. 14-15.

No comments:

Post a Comment